Springer Spaniel Forum
June 26, 2017, 08:07:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home shop links Help Arcade Search Login Register  

Shoutbox

Last 20 Shouts:
June 16, 2017, 10:16:15 PM
Bless you Lizzie x
June 10, 2017, 09:57:17 PM
Sent you a PM Fawn.
June 07, 2017, 10:35:34 AM
Good morning!
May 24, 2017, 03:31:17 PM
LMB, I've forwarded it. E.
May 24, 2017, 02:23:29 PM
ealcapitan: sent you PM via Enid. Thank you
May 16, 2017, 10:14:20 PM
 wav
May 16, 2017, 07:17:00 PM
Well done Steve  wav
May 16, 2017, 06:51:54 PM
We are back. The forum has been down since last night, but after a lot of hard work we are up & running again  Grin
May 08, 2017, 06:07:40 PM
May 08, 2017, 06:07:02 PM
Hello Elliej90,  you need to use a photo hosting site - follow this link for instructions for Photobucket or do similar with Flickr
May 08, 2017, 04:41:02 PM
Hi All, trying to post on the new member forum to introduce my new buddy and it says the upload folder is full. Is this a problem on my side or the sites? Cheers
May 08, 2017, 03:18:00 PM
Ealcapitan: NO rush at all. Pls. take your time. LMB
April 10, 2017, 03:14:07 PM
Hi archie1306,
Just to clarify, it is asprin for a sprain - I know I said asprin in the last para but I should have made it clear at the beginning. So I've edited it.  Cheers.
March 22, 2017, 03:42:12 PM
Hi Bambam, I've moved your shout to a post:  http://www.englishspringer.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=13312.0.  
Unfortunately, your message is incomplete.  Please finish it in the thread.
March 22, 2017, 02:58:19 PM
Can anyone offer advice.
Our stunning boy Riley at 7 months old has started to eat poo.Not his own other dogs.At first ,although unpleasant,it wasn't much of a problem.This has now escalated and is upsetting the family as he has permanent diarrhoea.I know we could walk him on a lead but as we live
February 02, 2017, 08:13:27 AM
LOST possibly STOLEN - please take a look and share widely:  http://www.englishspringer.org.uk/smf/index.php?action=post;topic=13248.0;num_replies=2
January 25, 2017, 08:11:00 AM
Two of our special members have birthdays today:
http://www.englishspringer.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=13237.0
December 20, 2016, 06:34:19 AM
Enid - PM sent to you.LMB
November 15, 2016, 04:06:03 PM
November 13, 2016, 06:00:43 PM
Not long left to get your votes in  Grin
Show 50 latest

User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2017, 08:07:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Stats

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 166215
  • Total Topics: 12564
  • Online Today: 53
  • Online Ever: 105
  • (February 27, 2017, 12:29:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 28
Total: 29
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Juno update from one proud mamma!  (Read 149 times)
JunoandBecca
Snr. Member

« on: June 19, 2017, 02:15:50 AM »

Juno had her annual checkup yesterday and on the way home I thought to myself how long it has been since I have been here and shared any fun stories. So here I am! After spending the last 24 hours or so reading through all the news and oggling the puppy pictures, I now feel I am up to date and can share this. And I am sooooo happy to do so.

For those that remember, Juno has some handling problems. All stemmed from when she had a bladder infection when she was a year old and the vet (Dr West) put the thermometer in her ear a bit rough and made her squeal. Then had to finish the check up with her muzzled as she bit him and he was afraid of her. That led to both of us getting very stressed any time she needed any sort of attention, like grooming, vet trips, generally getting her to do anything she didn't want to do that meant grabbing her by the collar, getting something dangerous off her, etc. It spiralled out of control for a long time. Lovely, wonderful dog, if she is left to do what she wants to do.

Then we started seeing a different vet. Same office. Dr Harris. She was actually the vet that had to put my cat to sleep 8 years ago. She was lovely then but we were already attached to Dr West because of our last dog and losing him to cancer, we built a relationship with Dr West. I was never overly fond of his bedside manner but he was always very knowledgeable and seemed to want to give all the options in any scenario. (when I say bedside manner, he actually told me to shut up on the day he diagnosed Sanderson with Cancer. I realize now he was nervous about giving the diagnosis, but still.) Anyway, Dr Harris was more than happy to work with us, and Juno, on the handling issues. So we muzzled only when necessary. Like ear checks and nail trims. Otherwise, we worked on her confidence and gave lots of treats as distraction for needles and the like. I would even pop in about once a month just to say hi, with Juno, and Dr Harris would always come out and give a biscuit and a cuddle. No nasty stuff, just a hello.

But then Juno had the eye problems last year. We couldn't get in to see Dr Harris, so had to see yet another vet. Who told us off for letting her eyes get so bad before bringing her in and then scared us senseless about the medication we had to give her. Steroid drops in her eyes. I won't go in to details again on that one, but it was very frightening. After the 2 weeks of meds, we went back, saw this new vet again who gave the all clear. Spent 3 minutes with Juno and charged us $95! Whatever, we paid it. 3 days later, her eyes flared up again and the only vet we could see was Dr West. He wouldn't even come in the room until she was muzzled. Sigh. We had to go weekly for a while and one time she had to have green dye put in her eyes while the vet was 2 inches away from her muzzled face. It was not fun! But then winter came and the eyes cleared, and we determined that it is likely seasonal allergies. So far this spring, her eyes are good. A bit watery, but no infections and no nasty bumps on her lids like last year.

Fast forward to yesterday. The dreaded annual. BUT, I made sure to book with Dr Harris. And when she walked in the room, Juno just was so excited to see her. Dr Harris spent 15 minutes giving tummy rubs and kisses and cuddles and just chatting to her before even starting the exam! She did not bring a muzzle in the room as she wanted to see what she could do without Juno even seeing a muzzle. Well, I am so proud of Juno! She had her ears checked and temp taken. Even her teeth checked! No snarling. No growling. She just kept trying to kiss Dr Harris. She had her nails trimmed. She jumped every time she hear the click of the trimmers but then just wagged her tail and kissed again. LOL. Took her needles like a champ. With some food distraction from me, just in case. I couldnt believe this was my dog. I was almost crying!

We talked about the recheck charge from her eyes and Dr Harris took that off my bill. We also found out that Dr West had not been giving her a Lyme vaccine for the last 3 years. So got that free. And I guess Dr West doesn't work there any more. Plus we talked about seasonal allergies. Dr Harris is going to do some research on antihistamine drops that don't sting and don't have nasty side effects. I am so happy we booked with her again and so happy that Juno is happy!

Sorry that was so long, just so proud of my Juno!

Becca, Brian, Juno, Loki, Chaos, Momus and Leto enjoying the 4 seasons in Nova Scotia, Canada!
Rachel
Ultimate Member

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 07:23:47 AM »

Oh how lovely for Juno now to have a positive relationship with the vet wav
 Hug

Lynda
Ultimate Member

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 08:19:21 AM »

Lovely to hear from you again  Grin

That's wonderful news about Juno, no wonder you are pleased and proud. It must be a huge relief for you and Juno must feel more at ease and happy now  love4
Sgurr
Administrator
Ultimate Member

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 09:41:51 AM »

Really positive and good to hear!

Cheers
Sgurr

harveydog
Global Moderator.
Ultimate Member

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 11:45:33 AM »

Hooray for Juno and hooray for Dr Harris!   wav

Becky x

"What has Harvey done that's naughty today?"  . . .  Milly, aged four.    :O)

www.nortyharvey.blogspot.co.uk
Roxylola
Ultimate Member

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 01:24:31 PM »

Well done Juno, my Roxy is very frightened at the vets, I don't think it would take much to make her a bit fear reactive, fortunately they are all very gentle with her!  I think that was great to be able to work on her going for a little visit and a treat  love4
seomac

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 01:35:27 PM »

Sam hated the Vets, tho nothing bad was done to him, only overnight stay was when he passed away, just a very independent dog. Harry on the other hand sees it as an opportunity to increase his profile, likes tobe centre of attention. I recently changed vets, to a new practice, the lady vet, similar to one described, very hands on friendly, sadly this just encourages Harry to 'act the maggot' more than usual,swinging and twirling round, thankfully she has noticed this and is a little less energetic in her approach now, which for me is a godsend not having to restrain a young 25 kg dog, from going in several directions at the one time. When her husband, the other vet is on, Harry behaves impeccably, likes to show off to the ladies...
Carrington
Ultimate Member

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 06:13:42 PM »

That's great!  I know we sometimes find it hard to challenge authoritative and knowledgeable figures, especially (dare I say it) when it is between different genders.  I'm so glad you've found someone you like, and more importantly that Juno likes. X
ealcapitan
Ultimate Member

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 09:16:16 PM »

Awwww what a positive visit Smiley glad to hear she was happier today Smiley

Bessie Pup <3
Meg 05/03-07/15
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc