Springer Spaniel Forum
November 20, 2017, 01:36:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home shop links Help Arcade Search Login Register  

Shoutbox

Last 20 Shouts:
August 07, 2017, 07:36:46 PM
#AnimalRescueLive on @Channel4 at 8pm. The pawsome Kate Quilton, Steve Jones & The Supervett join our furry friends in #Newcastle
June 16, 2017, 10:16:15 PM
Bless you Lizzie x
June 10, 2017, 09:57:17 PM
Sent you a PM Fawn.
June 07, 2017, 10:35:34 AM
Good morning!
May 24, 2017, 03:31:17 PM
LMB, I've forwarded it. E.
May 24, 2017, 02:23:29 PM
ealcapitan: sent you PM via Enid. Thank you
May 16, 2017, 10:14:20 PM
 wav
May 16, 2017, 07:17:00 PM
Well done Steve  wav
May 16, 2017, 06:51:54 PM
We are back. The forum has been down since last night, but after a lot of hard work we are up & running again  Grin
May 08, 2017, 06:07:40 PM
May 08, 2017, 06:07:02 PM
Hello Elliej90,  you need to use a photo hosting site - follow this link for instructions for Photobucket or do similar with Flickr
May 08, 2017, 04:41:02 PM
Hi All, trying to post on the new member forum to introduce my new buddy and it says the upload folder is full. Is this a problem on my side or the sites? Cheers
May 08, 2017, 03:18:00 PM
Ealcapitan: NO rush at all. Pls. take your time. LMB
April 10, 2017, 03:14:07 PM
Hi archie1306,
Just to clarify, it is asprin for a sprain - I know I said asprin in the last para but I should have made it clear at the beginning. So I've edited it.  Cheers.
March 22, 2017, 03:42:12 PM
Hi Bambam, I've moved your shout to a post:  http://www.englishspringer.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=13312.0.  
Unfortunately, your message is incomplete.  Please finish it in the thread.
March 22, 2017, 02:58:19 PM
Can anyone offer advice.
Our stunning boy Riley at 7 months old has started to eat poo.Not his own other dogs.At first ,although unpleasant,it wasn't much of a problem.This has now escalated and is upsetting the family as he has permanent diarrhoea.I know we could walk him on a lead but as we live
February 02, 2017, 08:13:27 AM
LOST possibly STOLEN - please take a look and share widely:  http://www.englishspringer.org.uk/smf/index.php?action=post;topic=13248.0;num_replies=2
January 25, 2017, 08:11:00 AM
Two of our special members have birthdays today:
http://www.englishspringer.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=13237.0
December 20, 2016, 06:34:19 AM
Enid - PM sent to you.LMB
November 15, 2016, 04:06:03 PM
Show 50 latest

User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 01:36:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Stats

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 167661
  • Total Topics: 12669
  • Online Today: 38
  • Online Ever: 105
  • (February 27, 2017, 12:29:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 31
Total: 32
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What would you do?  (Read 1147 times)
harveydog
Global Moderator.
Ultimate Member

« on: August 20, 2017, 02:56:16 PM »

I'm after a little bit of advice, please.

Harvey's boosters are due, but I'm not sure whether to bother this year due to his age and health.

He is 13, has a terminal diagnosis and he's on chemotherapy.  He will probably not be here this time next year.

Does anyone know how long the immunity from disease lasts?  Will he have built up enough immunity from 13 years of innoculations?
Being on chemo means that his immune system is compromised, so he may be more at risk of infection from exposure to disease, but I wonder whether the injections could also have a negative effect.

He leads quite a quiet life these days and although he bumps into other dogs on his walks and in the pub, he no longer goes to dog school and he never goes into kennels.
He is not a fan of the vets, though he does go every three weeks or so to have his eye checked.
I'd like to spare him from as much medical stuff as I can, but I want to do the best for him too.

I thought I could gauge your opinions to add to ours I can then have a more informed chat with the vet.

Thank you.    Wink

Becky x

"What has Harvey done that's naughty today?"  . . .  Milly, aged four.    :O)

www.nortyharvey.blogspot.co.uk
Sgurr
Administrator
Ultimate Member

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 04:21:32 PM »

Having been through something similar with Glen, except he did not have chemo, Gareth my vet advised not to give the boosters.  As Harvey has had chemo his immunity will be reduced but look at the lower risk factors too.  He is only going on short walks to familiar places, not travelling about, not going into places where there are large numbers of other dogs such as shows, game fairs, training classes.  Most of the time he is at home in a known environment. 

So I suggest you do what I did and buy a nice piece of steak for your boy from the money not spent on boosters.

love,
Enid

harveydog
Global Moderator.
Ultimate Member

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 05:59:16 PM »

Steak, Enid?   he he
Not sure he will ever deserve steak.   Wink

Your thoughts pretty much echo mine and David's. 

Becky x

Monty's Mum
Snr. Member

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 06:40:44 PM »

I second Enid's idea. It's sound advice from someone who has been there.
I know it's what I'll do as / when I reach same point with Monty.
Fawn
Administrator
Ultimate Member

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 07:40:44 PM »

And I 3rd what Enid has said Becky.  We are getting Hollie titer tested this year to see what level her immune system is at.

If I was in your shoes I'd be doing exactly what Enid has said love4

Fiona & Hollie

Never forgetting Fawn.

Educating Alice: The Essential 4-Step Guide To Training The Perfect Puppy.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Educating-Alice-Essential-Training-Perfect/dp/0995490104/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472756682&sr=8-1&keywords=educating+alice
FR
Ultimate Member

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 07:55:32 PM »

For what its worth, I'm a 4th.

Dear little harveydog, gentle hugs for him - oh and yes, a bit of tasty yummy steak too ... dribble, dribble says Molls x

Fay and Molly .......... remembering Max and BJ and Alfie, forever in my heart.
Roxylola
Ultimate Member

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2017, 09:10:37 PM »

Another vote to not bother. Half the reason the boosters are annual is to ensure you take your dog once a year for a health check. You are going regularly anyway!
seomac
Snr. Member

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2017, 09:17:19 PM »

Just adding my voice, same as the others, let Harvey enjoy a treat instead. Hopefully he'll prove medics wrong & keep on going, tho I've only seen him in your pictures,I feel as if I know him well , thru your stories of his exploits,he's a great tonic,  I'm sure I'm not alonein thinking this. Keep on springing Harvey
LMB
Ultimate Member

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2017, 11:22:20 PM »

And we are just sending love and super best wishes for Harvey.
lolly
Ultimate Member

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2017, 08:15:47 AM »

I agree with all before me.

I'm sure the Man would rather have an extra box of sausages Hug

Owned by Shona and Belle.
Jed and Blue always in our hearts
Lynda
Ultimate Member

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2017, 02:50:40 PM »

Becky, I too agree with everyone here.

Rosie and I send love and hugs to her Springer Twin   Hug Hug

Lots of extra treats for our Harvey, our favourite Norti King  love4 and that nice piece of steak  Grin
harveydog
Global Moderator.
Ultimate Member

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2017, 05:05:22 PM »

This nonsense about steak has got to stop!   he he

He's got no room for red meat as he's been snacking on cow pats on our walk this afternoon.

Thank you all for you thoughts.  It's always good when others think the same way you do and has given me the confidence to tell the vet when we see her.

Thank you all for your kind wishes for the old boy.  He is doing really well and you wouldn't know there was anything other than old age going on.  He's still ruling the roost, trying his hardest to get food from the worktops (though his hind legs don't like him doing it) and insisting on being wherever he's not just at the moment you've sat down.   Roll Eyes
We used to be quite disciplined with him but now we often just give in! embarassed

Becky x

Sgurr
Administrator
Ultimate Member

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2017, 05:21:30 PM »

The normal vaccx in the UK are licensed for a three year effectiveness, except lepto which is annual if you are in a high risk area.  Sorry I forgot in your first post Becky you were asking for how long they were effective.  With chemo the white cell count (immune factors) does go way down so it is better to look at the overall risk situation as I posted earlier.  I don't think any of the standard vaccx are 'live' but any dog can get unwanted side effects from a shot, and even if the lad has not previously had any issues, I would still not put him in the position where a shot might put him under the weather for a few days.

Cheers
Enid Sgurr

Rachel
Ultimate Member

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2017, 07:07:50 AM »

For the first time we have not had Jess jabbed, like Harvey she is older and our vet said that she will have built up enough immunity specifically if she is only walking in the same (not high risk) areas. Last year she and Monty only had the lepto part of the booster which the vet said should cover her for approx 3 years for our area. I have always had all dogs foster and ours vaccinated but given Jess's health, age and stamina we decided against it.

Harvey - I think you deserve steak!

With Jess. With wonderful memories of jake, stellag, dave and monty

https://folksy.com/shops/GreenwoodMakes
KateG
Global Moderator.
Ultimate Member

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2017, 08:09:47 PM »

I can't remember the last time Dino had any jabs. Since his diagnosis in March 2016 we were told that he shouldn't have them. He isn't on chemo just steroids but that is what our vet said.

Kate, Dino and Sam X
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc