Shoutbox

Fawn

September 23, 2018, 06:29:58 PM
For help on how to upload photos to the forum see the attached link ;D http://www.englishspringer.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=13731.msg170319;topicseen#new

Fawn

January 12, 2018, 07:09:40 PM
Easter eggs :o

lolly

January 11, 2018, 10:56:00 PM
Just trying to get over the shock of seeing the easter eggs on the shelves of our local co-op last week >:(

Roxylola

January 11, 2018, 05:27:37 PM
Baddog finished off a bit of ice cream she found in the freezer at the weekend, and has been obsessed with the bin this week.  :D

ealcapitan

January 10, 2018, 10:51:33 PM
Iíve been at yoga and checking our cows and my hebribabies :023 It is very quiet :(

Fawn

January 10, 2018, 08:36:16 PM
Where is everyone  >:(

harveydog

January 01, 2018, 10:39:14 AM
HAPPY NEW YEAR!
I hope 2018 is kind to you all and brings lots of fun for your Springers x

Sgurr

December 24, 2017, 05:43:59 PM
Remember Santa Paws is coming tonight! Hope you have all been good dogs and get lots of treats and toys.  Merry Christmas everyone!

Fawn

December 20, 2017, 07:04:05 PM
Hi Chippey, Iíve posted your question here for the members to hopefully help on.  http://www.englishspringer.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=13547.new#new

chippey

December 20, 2017, 05:25:36 PM
hi guys was wondering if anybody knows of treatment for yeast infection.(pink feet)that dosnt need vet visit

ChrisR

December 10, 2017, 09:33:49 PM
Bella is 15 months old  We've just moved from Devon to Norfolk, and were so proud when her new vet said "She's perfect! And so beautiful! Bella's going to be spayed on Tuesday (she has a little hernia) and we're concerned about the collar she'll have to wear. We've bought a comfy collar, but

SteveHG

August 07, 2017, 06:36:46 PM
#AnimalRescueLive on @Channel4 at 8pm. The pawsome Kate Quilton, Steve Jones & The Supervett join our furry friends in #Newcastle

Fawn

June 16, 2017, 09:16:15 PM
Bless you Lizzie x

Countrygirl4

June 10, 2017, 08:57:17 PM
Sent you a PM Fawn.

Countrygirl4

June 07, 2017, 09:35:34 AM
Good morning!

Sgurr

May 24, 2017, 02:31:17 PM
LMB, I've forwarded it. E.

LMB

May 24, 2017, 01:23:29 PM
ealcapitan: sent you PM via Enid. Thank you

Roxylola

May 16, 2017, 09:14:20 PM
 :wav:

Fawn

May 16, 2017, 06:17:00 PM
Well done Steve  :wav:

SteveHG

May 16, 2017, 05:51:54 PM
We are back. The forum has been down since last night, but after a lot of hard work we are up & running again  ;D
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 23, 2019, 09:02:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 1885
  • Latest: Beth-m
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169187
  • Total Topics: 12919
  • Online Today: 43
  • Online Ever: 105
  • (February 27, 2017, 12:29:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 22
Total: 22

Author Topic: Should we get a 2nd dog??  (Read 99 times)

Mandsjh

Should we get a 2nd dog??
« on: December 25, 2018, 02:08:55 PM »
Our boy is 6 years old. We got him so heíd grow up with our kids, be part of our family and most likely be our one and only dog ever. 

I can never see a time when I wouldnít want to have a dog in my life.

Somebody once told me that they got a 2nd dog when theirs was about 8 and it gave him a new lease of life and avoided that too awful to contemplate time when you lose your dog and the house is empty.

Iím hoping we have lots of years with our boy ahead but I have a little inkling Iíd like a 2nd dog. Obviously my 11 & 13 year old are all for it. DH, not so much. Heís of the view our boy is everything we want and nothing else would ever come close. When heís gone thatís it.

I could change his mind if I wanted to 😜

So my question is, would a 2nd dog be a good idea?

We have a full male springer bred by Jaynte. He is the most loving, faithful, mild mannered, obedient, low maintenance dog you could ever wish to meet. He is crate trained and sleeps in his crate at night and goes in there if we have to leave him behind.

I donít want him adversely affected in any way. His temperament is perfect and heís a happy boy.

Would a new dog upset him at all in the long run, or would it enrich his life?

I would only consider a gun dog as a companion for him as I meet many dogs on our walks and without fail, gun dogs are the nicest dogs we come across by some margin.

Would a pup or rescue be better?  Ideally I would love to have another of jayntes if we go ahead but Iím not sure if sheís still breeding labs and springers - hi if youíre out there Judy!!

I suppose in summary my main point Iím looking for advice is the wellbeing of my lovely boy and not upsetting or unsettling him in the long run.

Thanks in advance

Merry Christmas!!

harveydog

• Global Moderator.
  • Ultimate Member
Re: Should we get a 2nd dog??
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2018, 06:01:59 PM »
Harvey is the first and only dog we've ever had and all I can say is that facing a future without him, or any dog, is a dreadful thought.
As you may remember, Harvey was the naughtiest dog in the world so we were concerned about getting another for him to teach naughty tricks to and then, when he became a reformed character, he was too old and unwell to consider it. 
We are talking about rescuing a spaniel when Harvey is no more, but the time in between is going to be heartbreaking.

Good luck with your decision.
Becky x

"What has Harvey done that's naughty today?"  . . .  Milly, aged four.    :O)

www.nortyharvey.blogspot.co.uk

Fawn

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 05:27:34 PM »
Hi Manda,

Good to see you & Merry Christmas  :wave:

Itís difficult to say if itís a good idea or not as it depends on if you feel you have time in your life for 2 dogs & how your current boy is with other dogs.  Does he enjoy playing with other dogs when out or does he dismiss them?

Hollie was 9 in June & in July we added a pup to our home.  Iíd always said Hollie would be an only dog, but then my yearning for another dog so I could do activities, agility, gundog work came back.  We looked at rescue but was a bit wary & I wanted a b/w.  I said if I had another it had to be b/w, I contacted Sgurr as that was my other longing to have one of hers.  Lucky for me I was in with a chance of a b/w from her if everything went to plan.  So in July we brought Kensi home. 

Hollie has been great with her, they have their ups & downs I guess like any others that have more than one.  They play well together most of the time but Kensi been a puppy is a lot more boisterous & doesnít always get the signal when Hollieís had enough, Hollie will certainly then tell her off.  They have to both be treated fairly, both have a teddy each the same, both have balls the same, you canít give one without the other.  As Hollie has been an only dog for so long she doesnít always understand we arenít talking to her.

You need to be able to set aside time for separate walks until the pup can go far enough, time for training the pup on its own but obviously giving your older dog the same amount of time too.

Hollie did feel put out we could tell but she has come round again now& does enjoy the company. 

Like everyone says, itís double the mess, mud, trouble! But double the love  :love4: :love4:
Fiona, Hollie & Kensi!

Never forgetting Fawn.

Educating Alice: The Essential 4-Step Guide To Training The Perfect Puppy.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Educating-Alice-Essential-Training-Perfect/dp/0995490104/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472756682&sr=8-1&keywords=educating+alice

lesnpete

• Snr. Member
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 05:59:00 PM »
My two-pennorth.  If you do decide to get another dog, I would probably avoid a rescue.  Although I am all for recycling pets, if you bring another adult dog into the home, you may find you have more incompatibility problems than if you get a pup and you don't necessarily know the full background of the rescue and if s/he has suffered trauma or comes with problems.  Good luck if you do go for it, though.

seomac

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2018, 11:25:25 PM »
I've often thought of getting a 2nd springer. Harry is 2 years old very friendly with people & more importantly other dogs, he's full of life & would maybe appreciate a buddy. I do have reservations, as Harry has grown, so has the bond between us. I take him virtually everywhere with we, in truth everywhere that is possible . He is a very devoted dog, he follows me everywhere at home, will do all I ask (nearly all),if he gets in bother in the house, he heads for me, we're basically joined at the hip. I would worry about a 2nd dog, would Harry feel left out,as he's so used to being centre of attention? I could have got a close relative of him a few months back, but for the mentioned reasons & more I declined. It may be one day I'll have a change of heart, but not anytime soon