Springer Spaniel Forum
December 17, 2014, 11:01:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home shop links Help Arcade Search Login Register  

Shoutbox

Last 20 Shouts:
November 25, 2014, 10:07:22 AM
Pedigree Jumbone - there is an issue with this product as many dogs are becoming sick. Pedigree wants owners and vets to contact them.  If you have any, do not feed to your dog!
October 31, 2014, 08:19:55 AM
Voting over, 631 votes achieved- amazing ! thanks all.
October 30, 2014, 04:02:42 PM
Vote for Murray
6 hours left to vote & 33 votes behind 1st place.
http://www.kronch.co.uk/?contestants=murray-the-photobombing-placeboardhogging-springer
October 28, 2014, 06:26:03 PM
Last couple of days to vote Springers into the lead- husky is winning!http://www.kronch.co.uk/?contestants=murray-the-photobombing-placeboardhogging-springer
October 25, 2014, 12:36:14 PM
Happy birthday Oliver.
Sac maybe you'd like to go to new members so we can all say hello and you can tell us all about Oliver
October 25, 2014, 12:18:35 PM
Happy 1st Birthday Oliver
October 25, 2014, 12:08:11 PM
Happy Birthday Oliver, he is one today.
October 23, 2014, 08:51:49 AM
October 18, 2014, 02:53:24 PM
Please vote for Murray and Blue every day this week beg Oct 20 http://www.englishspringer.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=11567.0
October 17, 2014, 01:31:00 PM
Hi Rocky's owner. Go to New Members in the Members section and click on New Topic. A big box will open and type in what you want and then go to the botteom of the page and click Submit.
October 15, 2014, 03:56:32 PM
October 10, 2014, 06:59:50 AM
Happy Birthday Sgurr.
October 04, 2014, 08:57:58 PM
ear infections
September 11, 2014, 11:31:46 PM
Devastating news...fire at Manchester dogs home.
September 06, 2014, 08:12:05 AM
For ryan gemma's mum
Liz, ring the vet re Gemma in case it is pyometra.  Enid
September 05, 2014, 10:42:54 PM
What am I doing wrong. Each time I log in, read one unread post then try to read another, shows no posts!!1
September 03, 2014, 09:03:57 PM
Hello Sophiesoc, please post in springer training or problems and our members will be along to offer advice.
September 03, 2014, 08:51:31 PM
My puppy Sophie is 7 months, and is shocking at recall. She's not interested in treats when we are out. I've tried a long line, but as soon as she is aloud free run (in a safe fenced off field) it's as though she hears nothing. She does love to play fetch, but won't come when called. Does anybod
August 25, 2014, 09:45:38 AM
Please go onto Monty's Elbow in Chat and give Rachel a big hug.  Thanks.
August 03, 2014, 01:57:26 PM
done it !!
Show 50 latest

User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2014, 11:01:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Stats

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 139872
  • Total Topics: 10984
  • Online Today: 56
  • Online Ever: 91
  • (September 18, 2014, 12:43:28 PM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 50
Total: 53
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Springer Spaniel Ear Problem  (Read 18029 times)
BILLYMILLS

« on: December 06, 2012, 12:35:16 PM »

We have a 3 year old springer called Billy. Recently Billy had been shaking his head a lot and it started to get worse as time went on. When rubbing his ears to pet him he would yelp in pain. We lifted his left ear to find it full of brown gunky stuff. We cleaned it out as best we could to find him still shaking his head. We took him to the vets who said he had an imflamed, pink ear and he was prescribed anitbiotics and steroids.

We had a nightmare trying to get the drops in as he would get aggressive, snarl, growl etc and fight to get away from us so we decided to take him back to the vets. The vet operated on his ear earlier this week and gave his left ear a 'deep clean'. Again he has been prescribed further ear drops.

He is still fighting with us and becoming aggressive when trying to put his drops in, we even bought a mesh muzzle on advice of the vet to find he got out of it when fighting with us. He is still shaking his head a lot and walking around crying at times.

We are becoming increasingly anxcious about this as Billy is our first dog and we would hate for anything to happen to him. He is a pet not a working dog.

Could anyone give us advice on;

a) how to administer ear drops without Billy becoming aggressive and frightened
b) are ear infections prone is springers of 3 year old
c) can we prevent further ear infections

Roxylola
Ultimate Member

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 12:58:37 PM »

I believe a lot of people use something called Thornit powder with a lot of success.  I think training away from the aggression will be a long process as he is currently in pain and trying to protect himself. 
I think also people tend to pluck or trim their inside ear hair to help keep clean.  I always keep an eye on the smell of my dog's ears as this can indicate a build up of gunk.
Finally I can recommend owning a beagle as a way to keep all your other dogs ears clean.  I do her with a bit of cotton wool and she washes the rest out with her tongue!
Fawn
Global Moderator.
Ultimate Member

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 01:56:13 PM »

Hiya & welcome to the forum wave

Sorry to hear Billy is having problems with his ears.  Roxy mentioned Thornit & yes thats what you need http://www.thornitearpowder.com/
It's great stuff, you only need to use a little bit & the bottle last a long time.  Hollie had problems with her ears when she was little so we started using this, at first I used it everyday for about a week until her ear was clean & not looking hot & sore.  Since then I've put it in about every 14 days & it keeps her ear lovely.  If I forget to do it when I check her ear I can often see things developing again so it really does work.

Hollie does not like you messing with her ears but we have got into a little routine with her(ok don't laugh) where I say ham for the ear & she trotts into her bed.  I get a slice of ham from the fridge, get the thornit on the end of the spoon, I give her half the slice & while she is having it I put the stuff in her ear then she gets the other half he he  It took a while to get into this but she soon came to realise that she got a lovely treat for it, so maybe you could try something like that.

If you get chance pop in & post in the new members section & post some photos of Billy so we can all say hello properly. Grin

Hope Billy's ears are better soon.

Fiona & Hollie

Never forgetting Fawn.
harveydog
Global Moderator.
Ultimate Member

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 03:47:09 PM »

Hello and welcome!

I'm really sorry to hear about Billy's ears and I can sympathise as Harvey's had ear troubles in his time.

As Fiona says, you are going to need to build up trust to get Billy to accept you messing with his ears.  As long as he is food motivated then special tasty treats are the way forward. 
If I were you, I would call him over, let him know you've got a special treat, put him in a sit or down, lift his ear flap, pop it down, praise him for letting you do that and then give him a treat.  I would repeat this several times during the day before you even try to get any treatment in.
My vet told me that ear pain is very intense and so he is now trying to avoid the pain of having them fiddled with and you need to build up the trust again. 
I would also avoid rubbing and stroking his ears, and warn anybody who pets him to avoid them too.  Harvey had a deep-seated infection in his ear (in which he has a congenital deformity) and he was a little nervous about his ears being touched, so when anyone asked if they could stroke him I would say yes, but please avoid his ear.

I use Thornit regularly too - once a week for maintenance, and most days if they flare up.

Becky x

"What has Harvey done that's naughty today?"  . . .  Milly, aged four.    :O)

www.nortyharvey.blogspot.co.uk
Rachel
Ultimate Member

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 04:14:41 PM »

unsweetened natural yoghurt - monty came to us with ear infections and would bite to stop you administering into his ear, we bought a mesh muzzle and got him used to the muzzle meaning he could lick yoghurt off our fingers, eventually we got him to do it sat on the settee where we could gently lean on him and get the medication in the ear. after the first few days the ear starts to improve and so the whole thing causes less stress.

However we keep up with the yoghurt and poking at his ears (gently with your fingers) so that if we have to do it again he wont mind quite so much.

Also be confident and quick with the whole thing, easier said than done but being scared of hurting him or being hurt just makes the whole proceedure last longer. You just have to do it. But do try training at licking yoghurt off with a mesh muzzle on, it does make life easier. Oh and welcome to the forum

With Jess, Dave and Monty
Pickles
Ultimate Member

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 04:29:46 PM »

Hello and welcome to the Forum  wave

I can't offer any other advice than has already been mentioned.   fingerscrossed Billy is feeling better soon.

Sarah, Monty & Bracken (Run free at Rainbow Bridge beautiful Barney (Bear)) xx
Fawn
Global Moderator.
Ultimate Member

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 04:31:09 PM »

unsweetened natural yoghurt -

Rachel, i've never heard of the yoghurt before, do you just rub it round the inside top of the ear?  Or drop a bit into the ear canal(probably not)

Fiona & Hollie

Never forgetting Fawn.
kmcleod
Ultimate Member

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 04:53:11 PM »

Can't add anymore that what has already been said, but what I will say is you're not alone with this problem (as you can see from above).  I have the same with my two, although forunately they don't get agressive, just run, hide and squirm. 

Once the infection cleared up for my two (mites!), I bought some ear wipes from the pet shop (Vet gave us a cleaning spray which they both hate, the wupes they are much better with).  Plus once they are clean, then a little thornit. 

Karen, Duncan, Cassie & Murphy loving life on the Isle of Man
Roxylola
Ultimate Member

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 05:22:15 PM »

I read that as Rachel was feeding the yoghurt - it is good for yeast infections and the like because of the bacteria
Rachel
Ultimate Member

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 08:17:10 PM »

Rachel, i've never heard of the yoghurt before, do you just rub it round the inside top of the ear?  Or drop a bit into the ear canal(probably not)

No to distract them, they love it no no no to putting in the ear

ABHummingbird
Ultimate Member

Wendy, Hendrix & Ghia

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 09:59:38 PM »

We use an unsweetened pro-biotic yoghurt here. Have to admit, had a little chuckle at Fawn's question - but only because I asked the same thing when I first heard of it too! he he

🐶 "I'm suspicious of people who don't like dogs...and yet I totally trust a dog that doesn't like a person!" 🐶
Fawn
Global Moderator.
Ultimate Member

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2012, 10:35:59 PM »

No to distract them, they love it no no no to putting in the ear
Lol never though of that Roll Eyes 

Fiona & Hollie

Never forgetting Fawn.
Rachel
Ultimate Member

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2012, 09:02:38 AM »

he he sorry people, yoghurt as a bribe  he he medication for infection, and I have to learn to write things down more clearly  he he

ryan gemma's mum
Global Moderator.
Ultimate Member

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2012, 10:18:12 AM »

Welcome to you both. Sorry to hear Billy having problems with his ears. I can't offer advice on this, but hope he's  soon better with the advice you already have, liz

Accept me, accept my dog....don't accept my dog, don't accept me.
Tillies Dad
Ultimate Member

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2012, 11:57:35 PM »

unsweetened natural yoghurt - monty came to us with ear infections and would bite to stop you administering into his ear, we bought a mesh muzzle and got him used to the muzzle meaning he could lick yoghurt off our fingers, eventually we got him to do it sat on the settee where we could gently lean on him and get the medication in the ear. after the first few days the ear starts to improve and so the whole thing causes less stress.

However we keep up with the yoghurt and poking at his ears (gently with your fingers) so that if we have to do it again he wont mind quite so much.

Also be confident and quick with the whole thing, easier said than done but being scared of hurting him or being hurt just makes the whole proceedure last longer. You just have to do it. But do try training at licking yoghurt off with a mesh muzzle on, it does make life easier. Oh and welcome to the forum

Firstly an awful story and one I've always been wary of, but thankfully I persisted with Tilly until she just accepts grooming and that way I can give her a clean every night I come in and sit down for a cuddle with her.

Secondly, the advice on this forum is second to none. This is a really good distraction technique. A well known trick with ferrets is to rub some olive oil on their belly and they go crazy for it, so much so they don't even notice they're sitting perfectly still and that I've just clipped the nails on all four paws. Without it, it's a two man job and stressful for the ferret.

Recently she has started pawing her ear now and again, and rubbing her ear off the rug. I'm always looking in her ears and there's no signs of excess wax or dirt and there's definitely no inflammation or signs of infection. We've even smelled inside her ear, just to see if there was anything stinky deeper down.

After reading these posts I'm going to order some of that ear powder and nip it in the bud before it does develop into something, and even if it's just itchy ear and nothing to worry about, I'd rather go with this advice and be safe rather than sorry.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc